Several awards are available for 2022. They are:
- 2022 SMANA Outstanding Agency Award
- The Philip Kotler Social Marketing Distinguished Service Award
- Social Marketing Student Paper Award
2022 SMANA Outstanding Agency Award
The Social Marketing Association of North America (SMANA) would like to invite individuals to nominate candidates for the 2022 SMANA Outstanding Agency Award for commitment to the elimination of social disparities. SMANA seeks to recognize an outstanding agency for social marketing practice that is not only effective but also equitable.
At the core of the social marketing profession, are the clients who want work done and the practitioners who do it—including agencies comprised of social marketing professionals whose practice is guided by ethical principles. Nominees will be considered based on information provided about an agency project that is representative of the agency’s commitment to the elimination of social disparities.
Candidate agencies should be currently engaged in social marketing and making a significant contribution to the elimination of one or more social disparities. Please note the following requirements:
- Nominated agencies can be from any sector (e.g., private company, government agency, non-profit organization).
- Nominees are not limited by the number of years in practice.
- Sole proprietors are eligible.
- Only nominees who will be present at the Conference will be considered.
The winner of the award will receive a physical award and recognition at the Conference.
If you have an agency you would like to nominate for this award (self-nominations permitted), please complete this online form.
The deadline for submissions is April 7th, 2022. The winner will be notified by the end of April.
The Philip Kotler Social Marketing Distinguished Service Award
The Philip Kotler Social Marketing Distinguished Service Glass is awarded annually by the Social Marketing Group and the Florida Prevention Research Center at The Social Marketing Conference to an individual who has demonstrated a lifetime of achievement in and service to the field of social marketing.
The award honors the founder of the field of social marketing, Dr. Philip Kotler, the S.C. Johnson & Son Distinguished Professor of International Marketing, at the Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management in Chicago. Dr. Kotler has published extensively in the field and provided enduring guidance to the social marketing community. He is the person most responsible for changing how all who work in or study the field, understand and apply marketing to public service initiatives.
The recipients of the “Kotler Glass” embody four qualities that have characterized their life and work in social marketing. These reflect the example of character provided by Dr. Kotler.
Recipients will have demonstrated a body of scholarship related to social marketing, either within the academy, as a practitioner, or a combination of the two. Scholarship is demonstrated by a variety of endeavors, including published papers in peered reviewed publications, books, popular articles, e-publications, and technical reports and monographs. The value of the body of work is evaluated on how it has helped advance the understanding and practice of social marketing.
Recipients will have fostered the development and cohesion of the social marketing community. They will have engaged in activities that support the work of their peers, mentored other professionals and those in training, offered their talents and efforts in service to nurturing the field and its practice, and demonstrated a sense of mission to the field.
Recipients will have demonstrated leadership in the field of social marketing through their willingness to assume challenges, take risks, and apply innovative solutions to issues facing the field. They will have inspired others to improve their work and they will have advanced the field’s development and practice.
Recipients will have demonstrated a life of honesty, forthrightness, and ethical behavior that has provided a high standard for engaging in the collegial and business relationships associated with the work, against which others in the field measure themselves.
The award, the “Kotler Glass”, is an original work of art that is emblematic of the transformative nature of social marketing. Like the glass from which it is made, the artwork symbolizes social marketing’s ability to craft the “raw” elements of understanding, technique, and strategy into solutions for social problems. The award is also intended to reflect the passion that Dr. Kotler and his wife Nancy share for glass art.
Download a description of the Kotler award here.
How to Nominate:
Email the completed application forms posted above to [email protected]. The deadline for nominations is April 14, 2022.
In the body of the email, please include your name, job title, organization, phone number, and email address.
The WORD document should include the name, job title, organization, phone number (if known), and email address of the individual being nominated.
Be prepared to answer the following questions:
- Please show how the nominee has demonstrated a body of scholarship related to social marketing, either within the academy, as a practitioner, or a combination of the two (Maximum 250 words).
- Please explain how the nominee has fostered the development and cohesion of the social marketing community. (Maximum 250 words).
- Please describe how the nominee has demonstrated leadership in the field of social marketing through their willingness to assume challenges, take risks, and apply innovative solutions to issues facing the field (Maximum 250 words).
- Please describe how the nominee has demonstrated a life of honesty, forthrightness, and ethical behavior that has provided a high standard for engaging in the collegial and business relationships associated with the work, against which others in the field measure themselves. (Maximum 250 words).
Social Marketing Student Paper Award
The purpose of the Social Marketing Student Paper Award is to encourage and support the development of the next generation of scholars and practitioners in social marketing and public health. The winner of the award will receive a financial reward as well as recognition. All students who submit an abstract will automatically be considered for the award.
The Fostering Equity / Reducing Disparities Scholarship provides support for attending the conference to participants from low-income countries. The conference planning committee recognizes that economies and budgets are not created equally. The focus of this scholarship is specific to programs / areas where resources are low, and need is high. Applicants can come from developing countries or underfunded areas in the USA or developed countries. Scholarship availability is subject to sponsorship availability and cannot be guaranteed.
- A reduced registration rate for the Training Academies and the Social Marketing Conference,
- Lodging for up to four nights at the conference hotel, Sheraton Sand Key ($700),
- Airfare (coach level) (up to $1,000), and
- Super Shuttle transportation between Tampa Airport and hotel ($50-ish), and visa fees (if applicable)
The recipient is responsible for all other costs, examples include baggage fees, meals and transportation to / from the airport in their home city or country.
Selection Process: The purpose of the scholarship is to support individuals who are studying and/or intending to use social marketing, public sector settings, or educational institutions, and who demonstrate a financial need to attend the conference
Applicants must provide a support letter from a supervisor or manager within their respective organizations. This may be provided during the application process or following selection as a scholarship recipient. Graduate student applicants must provide a support letter from their Graduate Advisor.
The scholarship is for first time individual conference attendees. We accept applications from any country and in particular encourage those working or studying in a developing world country to attend.
How to Apply:
Send your application by email to [email protected] by April 1st, 2022. A decision will be made by April 11th. This should allow for ample time to obtain a visa. Please note in the subject line of the email: (your name): Application for Fostering Equity Scholarship
You may enter all the information into the body of an email, or attach a Word or PDF document. Your application must include the following:
|Name||Degree(s) if applicable|
|Phone (include country code etc)|
|Address||City, Zip (if applicable), and Country|
Please also include an essay of no more than 500 words to address the following:
- A description of your interest in attending the academy and conference (you must attend both).
- A description of your interest in social marketing.
- An overview of the opportunities you have to use social marketing.
- If applicable, a review of how others at your educational institution or organization use social marketing. If not applicable, a reply of “not applicable” will suffice.
- An overview of how you will apply what you will learn at the conference to your work or studies.
For applicants from Low-income countries who are unable to receive a scholarship, a reduced rate for the conference and training academies is provided. Please send your name and the institution or organization name you are studying with or working for to [email protected] BEFORE you register for the conference. If approved, we will provide a discount code (discount cannot be applied with any other discounts-early bird, student, organization).
Support & Exhibit Opportunities
This conference requires the support of valued partners to succeed. There are opportunities to have an exhibit table, and/or the opportunity to support a food break, or even a scholarship. Interested companies or organizations are invited to contact us at [email protected] or 813-974-2021 to receive a prospectus or discuss opportunities for support.