Awards and Sponsorships
Several awards are available for 2022. They are:
- Outstanding New Professional Award
- Millbank’s Social Marketing Award for Innovation in the Environmental Field
- The Phillip Kotler Social Marketing Distinguished Service Award
Outstanding New Professional Award
We would like to invite individuals to nominate candidates for the 2022 Outstanding New Professional Award sponsored by The Taproot Agency. Social marketing has been recognized as a viable approach to behavior change for the past 40 years. As the field continues to shift and evolve to address the emerging issues of the 21st century, so too must the leaders of this field. One focus of the 26 Social Marketing Conference is to provide recognition to the up and coming leaders of this field. To do so, we are recognizing an “Outstanding New Professional” at the 2022 conference.
Candidates should be individuals who are currently engaged in social marketing and are making a significant contribution to the field. Please note the following requirements:
- Nominees can be from any industry (for example, government agencies, private industry or academia).
- Nominees are not limited by age.
- Only nominees who have been active for five years or less in the social marketing field will be accepted.
The winner of the award will receive a physical award and recognition at the Conference.
SMANA Outstanding Agency Award
The Social Marketing Association of North America (SMANA) would like to invite individuals to nominate candidates for the 2022 SMANA Outstanding Agency Award for commitment to elimination of social disparities. SMANA seeks to recognize an outstanding agency for social marketing practice that is not only effective but also equitable.
At the core of the social marketing profession are the clients who want work done and the practitioners who do it—including agencies comprised of social marketing professionals whose practice is guided by ethical principles. Nominees will be considered based on information provided about an agency project that is representative of the agency’s commitment to elimination of social disparities.
The winner of the award will receive a physical award and recognition at the Conference.
Millbank’s Social Marketing Award for Innovation in the Environmental Field
Millbank’s Social Marketing Award for Innovation in the Environmental Field is awarded to honor an individual or organization whose social marketing work has profoundly impacted on an environmental or conservation issue, either at a local, national or international level. The award (an engraved glass award) will be presented on Friday, 6th June at the conference.
What the judges are looking for (essential):
- Use of formative research to understand the presenting problem and views and perceptions of the target audience
- Using of the full marketing mix
- Measurable results achieved
- Evidence of sustainability and/or plans at how the project will be sustained (for example, establishment of local partnerships, etc.)
Please also include:
- A brief overview of the project (maximum 150 words)
- Detail how formative research was used to understand the presenting problem and views and perceptions of the target audience (maximum 200 words)
- Detail the marketing mix which was developed and how this was linked to the key findings from the formative research (maximum 200 words)
- Detail the impact your project has had to date (maximum 100 words)
- Provide evidence of sustainability and/or plans at how the project will be sustained (maximum 80 words)
The Philip Kotler Social Marketing Distinguished Service Award
The Philip Kotler Social Marketing Distinguished Service Glass is awarded annually by the The Social Marketing Conference to an individual who has demonstrated a life of achievement in and service to the field of social marketing.
The award honors the founder of the field of social marketing, Dr. Philip Kotler, the S.C. Johnson & Son Distinguished Professor of International Marketing, at the Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management in Chicago. Dr. Kotler has published extensively in the field and provided enduring guidance to the social marketing community. He is the person most responsible for changing how all who work in or study the field, understand, and apply marketing to public service initiatives.
The recipients of the “Kotler Glass” embody four qualities that have characterized their life and work in social marketing. These reflect the example of character provided by Dr. Kotler.
Recipients will have demonstrated a body of scholarship related to social marketing, either within the academy, as a practitioner, or a combination of the two. Scholarship is demonstrated by a variety of endeavors, including published papers in peered reviewed publications, books, popular articles, e-publications, and technical reports and monographs. The value of the body of work is evaluated on how it has helped advance the understanding and practice of social marketing.
Recipients will have fostered the development and cohesion of the social marketing community. They will have engaged in activities that support the work of their peers, mentored other professionals and those in training, offered their talents and efforts in service to nurturing the field and its practice, and demonstrated a sense of mission to the field.
Recipients will have demonstrated leadership in the field of social marketing through their willingness to assume challenges, take risks, and apply innovated solutions to issues facing the field. They will have inspired others to improve their work and they will have advanced the field’s development and practice.
Recipients will have demonstrated a life of honesty, forthrightness, and ethical behavior that has provided a high standard for engaging in the collegial and business relationships associated with the work, against which others in the field measure themselves.
The award, the “Kotler Glass”, is an original work of art that is emblematic of the transformative nature of social marketing. Like the glass from which it is made, the art work symbolizes social marketing’s ability to craft the “raw” elements of understanding, technique, and strategy into solutions for social problems. The award is also intended to reflect the passion that Dr. Kotler and his wife Nancy share for glass art.
How to Nominate:
Email the completed application forms posted above to Bobbi Rose at [email protected].
In the body of the email, please include your name, job title, organization, phone number, and email address.
The WORD document should include the name, job title, organization, phone number (if known), and email address of the individual being nominated.
Be prepared to answer the following questions:
- Please show how the nominee has demonstrated a body of scholarship related to social marketing, either within the academy, as a practitioner, or a combination of the two (Maximum 250 words)
- Please explain how the nominee has fostered the development and cohesion of the social marketing community. (Maximum 250 words)
- Please describe how the nominee has demonstrated leadership in the field of social marketing through their willingness to assume challenges, take risks, and apply innovated solutions to issues facing the field (Maximum 250 words)
- Please describe how the nominee has demonstrated a life of honesty, forthrightness, and ethical behavior that has provided a high standard for engaging in the collegial and business relationships associated with the work, against which others in the field measure themselves. (Maximum 250 words)
Up to two Fostering Equity / Reducing Disparities Scholarships are available for 2022.
The Fostering Equity / Reducing Disparities Scholarship provides support for attending the conference to graduate students or public sector professionals. The conference planning committee recognize that economies and budgets are not created equally. The focus of this scholarship is specific to programs / areas where resources are low and need is high. Applicants must work in countries which are classed as either ‘low income’ or ‘lower middle income’ by the World Bank.
- registration for the Training Academy and the Social Marketing conference ($TBD),
- lodging for up to four nights at the conference hotel, Sheraton Sand Key ($740),
- airfare (coach level) (up to $1,000), and
- Super Shuttle transportation between Tampa Airport and hotel ($60-ish), and visa fees (if applicable).
The recipient is responsible for all other costs, examples include baggage fees, meals and transportation to / from the airport in their home city or country.
Selection Process: The purpose of the scholarship is to support individuals who are studying and/or intending to use social marketing, public sector settings, or educational institutions, and who demonstrate a financial need to attend the conference.
Applicants must provide a support letter from a supervisor or manager within their respective organizations. This may be provided during the application process or following selection as a scholarship recipient. Graduate student applicants must provide a support letter from their Graduate Advisor.
The scholarship is for first time individual conference attendees. We accept applications from any country and in particular encourage those working or studying in a developing world country to attend.
How to Apply:
Send your application by email to Bobbi Rose, [email protected]. Please note in the subject line of the email: (your name): Application for Fostering Equity Scholarship
You may enter all the information into the body of an email, or attach a WORD or PDF document. Your application must include the following:
|Name||Degree(s) if applicable|
|Phone (include country code etc)|
|Address||City, Zip (if applicable) and Country|
Please also include an essay of no more than 500 words to address the following:
- A description of your interest in attending the academy and conference (you must attend both).
- A description of your interest in social marketing
- An overview of the opportunities you have to use social marketing
- If applicable, a review of how others at your educational institution or organization use social marketing. If not applicable, a reply of “not applicable” will suffice.
- An overview of how you will apply what you will learn at the conference to your work or studies.
Support & Exhibit Opportunities
This conference requires the support of valued partners to succeed. There are opportunities to have an exhibit table, and/or the opportunity to support a food break, or even a scholarship. Interested companies or organizations are invited to contact us at [email protected] or 813-974-2021 to receive a prospectus or discuss opportunities for support.